top of page


Claiming birthright citizenship comes with its own issues and uncertainties. But this pivotal process doesn't have to be an uphill battle. We meticulously prepare airtight applications for derivative citizenship through pathways like consular reporting, the Child Citizenship Act, acquisition after a parent's naturalization, or the special provisions for spouses and adult children of U.S. citizens. Let us blaze the trail through the bureaucratic maze so you can simply celebrate your citizenship.

Derivative Citizenship for Children Under 18

Consular Registration and Beyond

For children under the age of 18, there are special pathways to acquire U.S. citizenship through their parents. One key avenue is through consular registration at a U.S. embassy or consulate prior to entering the United States. Children born abroad to U.S. citizen parents can become citizens themselves by obtaining a Consular Report of Birth Abroad from a consular officer.

The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 also allows certain children to automatically derive citizenship after admission to the U.S. as a lawful permanent resident. If at least one parent is a U.S. citizen, children under 18 can acquire citizenship through their parents' naturalization or after obtaining a Green Card before age 16 and meeting residency requirements.

Citizenship can be complex. Requirements can differ if the child was born in wedlock, out of wedlock, and change depending on which biological parent is the U.S. citizen. Parents must also meet certain residency requirements to transmit citizenship. Sometimes, a U.S. citizen grandparent can file an application instead.

No matter which route you pursue, our attorneys will guide you through the paperwork and interviews needed to officially document your child's citizenship status. We ensure no key details are overlooked and that your child secures the privileges and rights they deserve as a U.S. citizen from an early age.

Derivative Citizenship for Adults

If You're a U.S. Citizen by Birth, it's Never too Late to File

Are you an adult who believes you may have acquired U.S. citizenship through your parents, but are unsure of the process? This situation is actually much more common than you may think.


Claiming derivative citizenship can be difficult, but our experienced team is here to guide you every step of the way. If at least one of your parents was a U.S. citizen when you were born, you may be eligible to claim derivative citizenship—even if you are now an adult. This involves providing documentation such as your birth certificate, your parents' citizenship records, and potentially other supporting evidence like marriage certificates or proof of physical presence in the U.S.


Our team will work closely with you to review your eligibility, gather the required paperwork, and submit the appropriate application (typically Form N-600) to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The process includes an interview where you'll need to demonstrate your claim to citizenship, and USCIS will verify the information you've provided. If you're living outside the United States, we might advise you to file a passport application with all the required evidence you might otherwise submit to USCIS. This packet will be submitted to the Department of State.


We understand how important and life-changing it can be to obtain U.S. citizenship, and we're committed to making the process as smooth and stress-free as possible.


Let's Talk

bottom of page